Maha Shivaratri 2024: Know the Date & Timings [Bonus] How to Perform Puja Rituals and Remedies
Maha Shivaratri is one of the most important and well-known festivals in India. On Maha Shivaratri, a holy day, Hindus worship Lord Shiva. According to the Hindu calendar, it is observed yearly on the fourteenth day of each lunar month, which is the day before the Full Moon. In addition, many believers celebrate this day as Shiva and Parvati’s wedding.
Using the Gregorian calendar, Maha Shivaratri will take place in March 2024.
Maha Shivaratri 2024: Date & time
2024 Maha Shivaratri is on March 08, 2024.
First Prahar Puja Timing: 06:25 PM to 09:28 PM
Second Prahar Puja Timing:9:28 PM to 12:31 AM, Mar 09
Third Prahar Puja Timing:12:31 AM to 03:34 AM, Mar 09
Fourth Prahar Puja Timing:03:34 AM to 06:37 AM, Mar 09
Kindly note: The Muhurat and the prahar timings differ in different parts of the country, and the position of the Moon in different locations.
Maha Shivaratri 2024: The Mythology behind Maha Shivratri
The history of the Shivratri festival can be found in many Puranic stories and legends. According to mythology, in Samudra Manthan, a pot loaded with poison rose from the water. Fearing that it might destroy the entire earth, the Gods and devils went to Lord Shiva for help. Shiva retained the poison in his throat instead of eating it to protect the planet from its devastating repercussions. His blue neck gives him the moniker Neelakantha. Shivratri commemorates the time when Shiva saved the world.
Another well-known legend states that Shiva bestowed Goddess Paravati, a manifestation of Shakti, upon Parvati and desired to marry her due to her devotion. During a night without a moon, the goddess fasted for his health. An Indian woman continues to perform this ritual to pray for the longevity of her marriage. This day commemorates the anniversary of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati.
Maha Shivaratri 2024: The significance of Maha Shivaratri in Astrology
Astrologers say that the Moon becomes afflicted on Chaturdashi. It ceases to be able to provide the earth with energy. Worshipping Lord Shiva on Shivaratri, however, boosts the Moon. Furthermore, it gives happiness, contentment, and success at work because to its tight relationship with one’s mood. The day is a once-a-year opportunity to get answers to all of your life’s problems, including academics, health, business, and career. The greatest course of action during this time is to fast and pray for a long and healthy life.
According to our Vedas, performing Rudrabhishek puja and reciting mantras bestows longevity and health upon a person. Certainly, it is possible to escape potential threats to one’s life by sincerely praying. Additionally, you can perform Rudrabhishek Puja for the health and longevity of you, your family, and yourself throughout the year.
[Bonus] How should Puja be performed on Maha Shivaratri 2024?
The Maha Shivratri Puja vidhi includes fasting and worshipping the lord with the utmost sincerity and devotion.
- Before the Maha Shivaratri fast, a single daily meal is suggested. On the day of fasting, one of the activities involves ensuring that no undigested food stays in the digestive system.
- On the day of Shivaratri, you should rise early and take a bath. After taking a bath, devotees should make a Sankalp fast for the full day and break their fast the following day.
- Throughout the fast, believers should abstain from eating. In addition, they should prohibit water during a tough fast.
- Prior to beginning the Shiva Puja or visiting a temple in the evening, devotees must take a second bath.
- Shivaratri Puja can be performed once or four times throughout the evening. To obtain four Prahar, split the duration of the full night into four equal portions and do Shiva Puja four times.
- Shiva Lingam Abhishek must be performed utilizing various ingredients in accordance with Puja Vidhi. Milk, rosewater, sandalwood paste, yogurt, honey, clarified butter, sugar, and water are typical components for Abhishek.
- After the Abhishek ceremony, you must drape Shivalinga with a garland of Bel Patra leaves.
- Additionally, put sandalwood or Kumkum on the Shivalinga, light a lamp, and disperse Dhupa smoke.
[Bonus] Remedies to be performed on Maha Shivaratri
For Success in Education
On Maha Shivaratri 2024, combine milk with water and mishri and present it to Lord Shiva at the Shiv temple while reciting his name for improved academic performance.
For Success in Money and Finance
In addition, use Panchamrit to perform Abhishek in the Lord Shiva’s image. Remember to apply things such as milk, curd, sugar, honey, and ghee one at a time for optimal financial results.
For Success in Marriage
Visit a Shiv temple in the evening and select a suitable Bel Patra. On Bel Patra, it is important to include sandalwood (Chandan). Recite the mantra “Om Namah Shivaya” while offering Bel Patra and make a wish for a speedy wedding.
For Success in Health
Light a Diya with four wicks and pure ghee. Lord Shiva is to be presented with milk containing water, Mishri, and rice. While performing this, recite the mantra “Om Namah Shivaya” and make a wish for good health.