What Does “Om Namah Shivaya” Means? Know its Meaning and Significance
Om Namah Shivaya (ॐ नमः शिवाय) is the mantra dedicated to Lord Shiva. It is one of the most important mantras in Shaivism and an equally powerful Hindu Mantra. The Om Namah Shivaya mantra goes back thousands of years and is mentioned in Yajurveda in the Shri Rudram hymn.
Om Namah Shivaya Meaning
Namaḥ śivāya ca śivatarāya ca (नमः शिवाय च शिवतराय च)
Om Namah Shivaya means “adoration to Shiva” or “I bow to Shiva”
( Shiva is revered as the supreme reality, the inner Self, or Supreme Self.)
The Breakdown of Om Namah Shivaya Meaning
Om – Before there was the universe, there was a void of pure existence and vibrationless or nothingness. Out of this void came vibration, which is known as Om or Aum (ॐ). Then slowly, the creation of the universe began.
Namah – It means to bow or adoration.
Shivaya – Shiva or the inner Self (or Supreme Self).
In Siddha Shaivism and Shaiva Siddhanta Shaivism traditions, Namah Shivaya is considered as Pancha Bodha Tatva of Lord Shiva and his universal oneness of five elements. Na – Earth, Mah – Water, Shi – Fire, Va – Air, Ya – Sky or ether
Meaning that “universal consciousness is one.” These five components manifest the absolute of the universe according to Hindu philosophy.
How to Practice Om Namah Shivaya Mantra
The objective of chanting the Om Namaha Shivaya mantra is to purify the mind to achieve union with Shiva or the inner Self. Also, you should avoid verbal chanting because non-verbal chanting is more effective for purifying and strengthening the Mind.
Om Namah Shivaya is traditionally recited 108 times per day while counting on a string of rudraksha beads. Counting 108 times is another method for improving mantra concentration.
Benefits of Chanting “Om Namah Shivaya” Mantra
The goal of the chanting “Om Namah Shivaya” should always be to merge with the mantra and self or Shiva; you may realize how close you are to the auspicious one, Shiva
As you repeat the Om Namah Shivaya mantra, your mind will become powerful and pure, and you will give positive energy to the Cosmos, which will send it back to you tenfold. Many of its advantages are:-
- When you chant Om Namah Shivaya mantras, you will find the path to tranquilly and gain a clearer perspective.
- By chanting the Om Namah Shivaya mantra, one can cultivate the intelligence necessary for life’s success.
- The Om Namah Shivay mantra calms your ego and frees your thoughts from tension.
- The chant Om Namah Shivay dispels bad energy and links you to positivity.
- According to astrology, this chant deflects the negative energy of Grahas (planets) and reduces the negative impact on your natal chart during difficult times.
- Moreover, the Om Namah Shivaya mantra enables you to comprehend yourself or your inner self and unlock your genuine potential.
- In the Om Namah Shivaya chant, the energy starts in the highest centre, resting in the source, then dips down and rises, purifying the five elements, the 7 chakras, and the emotional issues surrounding them.