Maharishi Vyas Puja 2022: Date, Time, Rituals, Celebrations, and Significance
Vyasa Puja is held on the Full Moon day of the Ashadha month of 2022. This day is observed as Veda Vyasa’s birth anniversary. On this day, disciples perform Puja in honour of their Gurus. Vyasa Puja is sometimes referred to as Vyasa Purnima. Worship is offered to three groups of Acharyas during this Puja: Krishna Panchakam, Vyasa Panchakam, and Shankaracharya Panchakam. Each of these groupings is made up of five Acharyas.
Maharishi Vyasa Puja in 2022
Wednesday, 13 July, 2022 (Ashadha)
Who is Maharishi Ved Vyasa
Maharishi Ved Vyas is regarded as the AdiGuru, or supreme mentor, of all humanity. He was born 3000 years ago on Ashadha Purnima, according to Hinud scriptures. Krishna Dvaipayana Vyas was Ved Vyas’s true name. He was the son of Maharishi Prashar and Devi Satyavati, the Kauravas’ and Pandavas’ great grandmother. According to Hindu mythology, he was a famous sage and scholar.
Mahrishi Vyas was known as Ved Vyas because he was the first preacher of the Vedas and the creator of the epic Mahabharata. He is regarded as the first Guru of humanity, bestowing onto people the knowledge of the Vedas. As a result of this, the day of Ashadha Purnima is known as Guru Purnima, commemorating his grandeur.
Rituals of Vyas Puja or Guru Puja on Ashadha Purnima
According to Hindu tradition, praying to Guru and doing Vyas Puja is extremely auspicious and helpful. The following are the steps or rituals for performing Vyas Puja at home.
- Get up early, tidy your house, take a bath, and put on clean clothes.
- Create Vyaspeeth, or the seat of Vyas. Spread a white fabric on the floor and draw twelve lines (from north to south and east to west) using gandh powder, also known as ashtagandha powder.
- Then, recite the mantra “Guruparampara Siddhayarth Vyas Pujaam Karishyesye” and take a pledge. It implies that I revere Guru maharishi Ved Vyas in order to build the Guru Lineage.
- Invoke Lord Brahma, Paratparshakti (Supreme Energy), Vyas, Shukdev, Goudpad, Govindswami ji, and Guru Shankaracharya on the seat of Vyas.
- Now, do shodashopchar-puja, a sixteen-substance worship ritual.
- After you have completed all of the aforementioned rites, pray to your parents and the DikshaGuruone who has taught you.
- You can also read the Vedas or other scriptures written by Vyas ji and make a promise to follow Maharishi Vyas’ teachings.
Vyasa Puja on Purnima Vrat Significance
Vyas Purnima is a very important Hindu festival. It demonstrates the significance of Gurus in people’s lives and offers the lesson of seeking the path taught by the teacher. It is believed and mentioned in shlokas that an individual can only achieve salvation with the help of their teacher. Only a teacher or mentor can demonstrate the route to truth and salvation, and nothing can be done without them. According to a well-known sanskrit shloka,
“Guru Brahma, Guru Vishnu, Guru devo Maheshwara Guru sakshat, param Brahma, tasmai shri guravay namah.”
It indicates that Guru is Lord Brahma, Guru is Lord Vishnu, and he is Lord Shiva himself. Guru is the ultimate source of wisdom, which is why everyone should pray to Guru.